Top 10 List (part 1)

I wanted to make Belize a challenge in many ways- to challenge my luck and wildlife hunting skills I created an ambitious top ten list before I left. I wasn't able to get a photograph of each animal, but I'm proud to claim an experience of all 10!
10. Bottlenose dolphin- this one made me nervous. I only had a few chances out on a boat, and it came down to the last day we were in Belize. I saw a pod porpoising a few hundred meters east of our boat, and only for a few moments... but I completed the top ten with a buzzer-beater!

9. Boa constrictor- holding one in the zoo was neat... but the real fun came when we trekked around the shores of West Snake Caye like islanders, climbing over red mangrove roots in search of Constrictor constrictor. We found 4 of these beautiful snakes hiding up in the tree branches. Isolation has produced a new subspecies on these islands with unique color variations- they hunt by hanging down and snatching up unsuspecting birds that fly past!

2 Guest entries:

The Fifes said...

that snake picture is awesome!

Kevin & Kristin said...

Yuck...boa constrictors are scary and I've heard they kill children and people even if they are your house pet. Some pet! Glad you made it back alive. :)